Tracy Sherlock (Vancouver Sun) reported this week that women are still significantly under-represented and misrepresented in news media coverage despite some recent improvements . The Global Media Monitoring Project discovered the following:
- 76% of people reported in the news are men
- women are mostly used as providers of personal accounts and rarely as knowledgeable experts
- 32% of all stories deal with crime and violence
- male journalists were twice as likely to report on the top stories
- the women appering in the media tend to be actors (like Angelina Jolie)
What does this mean?
- News is not providing a mirror of the world
- News reflects gender stereotypes that discriminate against women
- Women are not seen as powerful (not reporting, not being experts and not being reported on)
And some people tell me that women have clearly “arrived.” I just don’t see it in the research.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!