Shatter the Glass Ceiling once and for all! This book is for every woman who is tired of being told to Lean In and exhausted by working harder or smarter. This book turns our focus 360 degrees - from women as individuals to a whole corporate culture with practices and policies that hold women back. It is the first practical how-to book that not only describes the 20 biggest systemic barriers that women face (that is documented in research), but also introduces 20 easy ways to dismantle them. If you really want gender equity, read this book, share it with your daughters and stop blaming yourself for your slow progress!
How to get women up the corporate ladder
Despite all the talk of diversity and empowerment, women are still falling off corporate ladders like never before. Although women have been graduating in equal numbers to men for almost 40 years, they remain absent in the highest levels in public and private corporations. While individual women go about seeking work-life balance, board members and executives scratch their chins wondering why things are not changing for women.
The academics know exactly why women are failing
Academics have been studying these issues for years and know exactly why women are not advancing and what’s really holding them back. They know that women face significant barriers and biases, they know that many expensive diversity reports are collecting dust on shelves and they can’t understand why their data remains hidden.
This book is a synthesis of this research, written in plain language. It not only describes the 20 main barriers that women face but also provides 20 specific strategies to be used by any organization wishing to advance women, including:
- don’t fall for the pipeline theory
- stop telling women to lean in
- notice the absurd expectations we place on women
- don’t expect women to be mini-men
- reject outdated stereotypes
Unlike other books that urge women to work harder and smarter, this book focuses on the corporate playing field consisting of the corporate model, workplace cultures and out-dated mindsets. If we really want women to succeed we must stop asking women to change and instead start tackling the very real barriers that are holding women back.
What people are saying:
- “Brilliant. Beautifully researched. Sometimes terrifying. Always riveting. If you ever want to distill your life experience as a woman between two covers this is the book to read!” ─Tracy Theemes, MA, CFP, Financial Advisor, Sophia Financial Group, www.tracytheemes.com
- “Like no one before, Fitzgerald challenges the idea that women should Lean In and urges both men and women to Lean Out – against all the corporate barriers and beliefs that invisibly hold women back. A Must Read!” ─Karin Mizgala, CEO and co-founder of Money Coaches Canada
- “Everyone should read this book. It is a clear and powerful call to action to bring about workplace equality. The 20 strategies are perfect action plan for anyone wanting to finally address workplace barriers.” ─Sandra Herd, Lawyer and Executive Director of Awkward Stage Productions.