This is a 150 page guide book for parents, caregivers teachers and counselors who want to protect girls from sexism but also want to end the societal pressures , stereotypes and sexualization that are crushing girls today.
Rather than a self-help guide for girls, this book redirects our attention to our attention to our hyper-sexualized society and particularly media messages that are the direct causes of low self-esteem, depression and self-harm in girls.
Unlike other books that tend to be academic, problem-focused and targeted to girls, this book is practical, solution-focused and targeted to those raising girls. Dr. Fitzgerald a gender expert, former lawyer and mother of two girls provides a fresh look at the so called “girl-problems.” Backed up by the latest research, this book offers concrete advice on how to help girls navigate our toxic culture and also challenge the status quo. Here are some topics:
- How to choose the best toys for your daughter
- How to dress your daughter in a non-sexist way
- How to combat the pressure to be overly sweet and nice
- How to properly praise and not rescue your daughter
- How to reduce the impact of Disney and kids programs
- How to ease the pressure of perfection and combat the beauty industry
- How to deal with sexist ads and sex-role stereotyping
- How to deal with media objectification and sexualisation of girls
- How to reduce the impact of sexist music, music videos and video games
- How to reinforce her feminine strengths
This book guarantees to change the way you see the world of girls and provides a new set of lenses (maybe not rose-colored) as well as practical solutions.